Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Monday 2 July 2007

Making an impression



The paper is positioned carefully over the inked block, making sure the block will print precisely over the painted backgound. I then use a baren to rub the surface of the paper against the inked block, this is done with a firm pressure but carefully so the paper remains exactly in position.



... And then it's time to peel the paper off the block - it one confident movement so there is no smudging. I make a note of the order the prints are made so I can keep them in the same order when writing the edition numbers on them, and leave them to dry.

3 comments:

  1. SO interesting to see these posts. There's a lovely art museum in Davos, Switzerland, devoted to the work of Kirchner, which contains all the woodblocks for a couple of complex works (four blocks for each). Every time I have been there (sometimes several days in a row, but always at least once when I am in Davos), I try to work out exactly which block did what colours, and what order he used them in ... for me, it's a very exacting puzzle, but I suspect you could do it pretty quickly.

    These look lovely
    Thanks for sharing
    Joanna
    joannasfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have enthused me to do some linocut printing on paper- I usually print on fabric.Your work is magical!
    I love your garden and chickens too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your generous comments...

    Joanna, thank you for reminding me about Kirchner's strong and expressive work.

    Dijanne, thank you for visiting - I'll have to try some fabric prints.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.