Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Thursday 3 July 2008

. . . two more today!


I couldn't resist posting another dragonfly photo today – two more beautiful new-born Southern Hawkers. We enlarged and redesigned our pond five years ago, the intention was to make a home for newts, frogs, toads and other water-loving wildlife. It immediately attracted dragonflies who laid their eggs. We're thrilled our Dragonfly Pond is such a great success, now we're seeing the results of the makeover – the dragonfly nymphs spend at least a year (sometimes two or three) as monsters of the deep, voraciously hunting in the underwater forest of water plants. When conditions are just right they will crawl out of the water and up a plant stem to emerge transformed into an exquisite flying machine!

Another day to witness a miracle!

4 comments:

  1. They are so wonderful aren't they? I have a river at the end of my garden and I see a lot of these shimmering beauties, the vibrant colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to have this happening in your garden. It just goes to show if you put the effort in, you reap the rewards. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celia

    It's my ambition to have a wildlife pond, but I was just wondering if the dragonflies ever fall victim to your hens? One of ours is a skilled fly catcher, so I would be worried that I'd be luring some wildlife into a death trap with our girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matron - dragonflies really are a sign of summer, you're lucky to live near a river.

    Hi Louise - lots of earth moving was involved, but it was well worth it!

    Hi Lucy - I haven't seen the hens attempt to catch a drgonfly. I have put a low fence around the pond area as the under-gardeners decided it was a 'project' to move the gravel into the pond! They can get into the pond area but usually can't be bothered to get round or over the fence so the wildlife is fairly safe. I'm afraid a few frogs and insects will get eaten but that's nature!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.