Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Wednesday 27 June 2007

Cutting the block



I'm in the process of cutting the block for the new linocut "Spring Garden". I based the design on the sketch shown on the June 5th posting, working over a scan of the sketch using Photoshop. The design was then transferred to the lino block - a mirror image of the final print. Now I am cutting away the areas I don't want to ink. There's only one chance to get this right, mistakes will have to be adapted, so it takes concentration. It's very calming and methodical, the pleasure is in using particular cutting tools to make just the right sort of cut in the block - you get to know exactly which tool to use to suit the mark you want to make. The original sketch takes on a new character, becuase the lines are now made of cut marks they have a uniformity. The next stage, inking and printing the block, will add a further dimension - the texture of the ink pressed onto the paper. More of that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.