Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Tuesday 20 January 2015

St Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill...

I've just been reminded by a Twitter friend that today, 20th January, is St Agnes' Eve.

St. Agnes' Eve — Ah, bitter chill
it was!
The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold;
The hare limp'd trembling through
the frozen grass,
And silent was the flock in woolly fold.

(you can read the full text of John Keats' poem here)

Night Flight, linocut

This morning the landscape around my studio was a perfect illustration for the opening lines of the poem... I was out early taking my car to a garage for its MOT/Service and then taking Cliff to work and driving home. A hard frost, -5C, made the views look muted in shades of grey and sage green. The trees dark and lit with a low sun, glowed red and purple and cast shadows that striped the full width of the fields.

I enjoy reading about the traditional feast days and customs that mark the changing seasons. Already we have passed Twelfth Night and Plough Monday, soon it will be Candlemas on 2nd February. One of my favourite web sites for festivals and special days is Project Britain set up by Woodlands Junior School.

My linocut edition 'Night Flight' has sold out but is still available as a card from my online shop, remember to use the discount code HappyNewYear2015 at checkout, valid until the end of January 2015 to get 15% off anything in the shop.


This week's news headlines from my studio

• I have designed a new trade catalogue for my greetings cards (click on the cover to view it) if you own a shop or gallery or know somewhere that might like to stock my cards, please drop me a line in the comments or email: studio at celiahart dot co dot uk.



• I'm busy working on some lovely commissions, but have been sworn to secrecy.

• my Ginger Studio Assistant is having the week off to convalesce from having a huge abscess, on his cheek, lanced by the vet yesterday. Don't even think about thinking about the vast sea of pus! He was very very brave and sat still and quiet without a sedative, the vet was most impressed and said he was 'a lovely little man'.


Stay warm
I'll be back soon
Celia
xx

20 comments:

  1. One of my favourite poems and how appropriate your work is to illustrate it too.
    Hope the ginger assistant improves soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your assistant feels better soon, and that you get many orders this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely to be reminded of the poem, and how perfectly your print fits - I'm away to get the cards. Saw your beautiful garden over on Gardenista write-up today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that poem. It's so good to remember the traditional days of the year. Hope the ginger assistant recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your assistant makes a full recovery soon. I enjoyed reading the poem. I only know a few of more traditional feast days etc, it's always good finding out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very best wishes to your studio assistant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now St Agnes' Eve is a new one on me - must find out more ( I must say I love the Woodlands' School website!) I love your description of the landscape this morning - very lyrical the way the shadows striped the full width of the fields. Glad your little assistant is on the mend x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of traditions we've lost, it's because we all have such busy lives now.....hope your cat recovers soon, mine is staying very close at the moment, she doesn't like the cold! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gentle chin scritches to the Ginger One.
    Thanks for the link to the old celebrations of life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That brought back memories of school. St. Agnes Eve was one of the poems I did for O level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your assistant is soon well and back to normal duties!
    Have a happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Celia, this post was so full of riches.

    You've reminded me that I continue to miss so much by not actually getting up when my alarm clock beeps. I was always a natural morning person, and have somehow been re-engineered as a night person.

    I sense another 2015 intention growing strength.

    Of course, the poem is beautiful, as is your print. As is that sage green color viewed in early morning.

    It was fun to have a look at the link to the site listing festivals and traditions. I will return to it.

    Best wishes to a gentle, steady recovery for your ginger assistant. What a brave soul.

    I am so glad to be on the list to receive your Studio News and recommend it to everyone.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness this owl print!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel for the poor assistant but it sounds like he'll be on the mend now. I also feel really dim that I've never heard of St Agnes' Eve or that poem by Keats. I'm off to look at the school website and then plug a few gaps in my literary knowledge before cramming up about 'Candlemas'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woodland's Junior School is a marvellous resource for almost everything you need to know, even down to Moon phases.

    I hope the Ginger recovers fast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh poor Ginger, hope he's bounced back to his old self.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor Ginger Cat ... I hope he is properly mended.

    I love that poem, but had completely missed St Agnes Eve passing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely picture you paint - even just with words :)
    I have to say that I had forgotten about Candlemass Day - but that is because here in Canada (and the US) we know it by another name - "Groundhog Day" : http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/groundhog-day/
    I always look forward to it, because even if the winter is still very present,and I know we have at least 2-3 more months of it really, with Groundhog Day comes hope that it might - just possibly - be peeking around the corner...
    I truly hope poor Ginger cat is feeling much better, what a horrible and undignified thing for a wee man to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely picture you paint - even just with words :)
    I have to say that I had forgotten about Candlemass Day - but that is because here in Canada (and the US) we know it by another name - "Groundhog Day" : http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/groundhog-day/
    I always look forward to it, because even if the winter is still very present,and I know we have at least 2-3 more months of it really, with Groundhog Day comes hope that it might - just possibly - be peeking around the corner...
    I truly hope poor Ginger cat is feeling much better, what a horrible and undignified thing for a wee man to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Celia - just a quick note to say I enjoy reading you blog and have nominated you for The Liebster Award (it's an award that is given to bloggers, by bloggers) Here's a link to my page with more info http://wp.me/p2WO8i-35

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.