Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Monday 24 September 2012

A new woodcut: The watchful hare

  

The watchful hare
Woodcut on handmade Japanese Kitakata paper
edition of 10  •  hand burnished  •  6 colours  •  30cm x 40cm

A late summer evening on the edge of a Suffolk barleyfield,
among the Rest-Harrow and Shepherd’s Needle
a hare quietly watches.

 

There's nothing like a deadline to speed up productivity! I was very excited when Helen at the Church Street Gallery in Saffron Walden told me about exhibition titled 'Neo Bardfield' that she was planning as the first major event for the gallery's partnership with the Curwen Studio; and I knew at once that the print that had been simmering on the back-burner in my brain for over a year (I know! I'm into slow-cooking of ideas) had to be finished in time.

If you follow me on Twitter you probably noticed the sneek previews as this reduction woodcut evolved; and although it was a challenge to hold my nerve through the 'when it's carved it's gone' process, I enjoyed every step and want to do many more.

I took photographs to record the process, because each step destroys part of the previous carving and the block is gradually reduced to just the few lines that print the darkest colour.

 

As well as 'The watchful hare', the exhibition will include my latest linocut, 'Up with the lark'; some of my other linocuts and cards will also be for sale in the gallery.  I hope that some of you will be able to visit the exhibition, you can read more about it on my web site, here.

Celia
x




            

36 comments:

  1. Breath-holding, heart-stopping work producing breathtaking prints.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you can call in to see the exhibition.

      Delete
  2. It is a truly beautiful print. The colours are so evocative. I'm looking forward to visiting the exhibition and seeing it, and all the rest, in real life :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the exhibition should be quite a treat - lots of different printmaking technigues.

      Delete
  3. What Ailec said! It is a long process but well worth the effort, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the process - sometimes it's hard to explain what is involved in making a print.

      Delete
  4. I'm working on hares, too.But not reduction 'cos I'm chicken! I've never seen hares up here though we had them further south.No rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your prints... go on, don't be chicken!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful work! I didn't know how woodcuts were created either.
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan. This is just one method, not all woodcuts would be printed like this.

      Delete
  6. Love the colours in this print, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working on my first reduction lino print at the moment (I usually just go for the bold one colour variety). Do you mind if I ask what inks you use? I was hoping to turn acrylics into block printing inks with a powder someone gave me today, but it didn't work! So I have ordered the colours I want from Lawrences in their linseed oil range of block printing inks – lovely inks but they take SO LONG to dry! Do you have any advice? Love your work. I have some of your cards always a few feet from my work table, as a sort of security blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to experiment to find the kind of ink which suits your style of print.
      There are some interesting inks that wash down using water: http://www.caligoinks.com but I use http://intaglioprintmaker.com/ Litho/Relief Ink and mix my own colours adding extender to create translucent layers. The time ink takes to dry depends on the paper you've printed onto and the weather, as well as the ink.
      Does that help?
      C

      Delete
  8. Celia, your new prints are quite wonderful! The way in which you describe the "reduction" challenge reminds me of my long ago silk screening sessions. I would hand paint the screen for each additional color, and as those printing sessions accrued, so hoped that somewhat perfect registration would occur.

    Perhaps I mentioned all this last spring when we had lunch but about 35 colors was all I ever managed in one print...and now I wonder how that was every possible.

    The colors you've used for your hare are lovely, subtle, and will give the viewer many reasons for many viewings.

    Best wishes to you for the upcoming exhibit! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances - I needed to step up a level and challenge myself (I think you'll understand what I mean).
      Yes I remember you telling me about your screen print - it's amazing what is possible if one knuckles down and concentrates!
      C xx

      Delete
  9. The colours in this print work with the image so beautifully Celia. I predict quite a few red dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pleased with the colours ... I wanted that glow that happens on the fields just as the sun is setting.

      Delete
  10. This is lovely. So much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a moment when I nearly lost my nerve!

      Delete
  11. That's really very beautiful. Must go along to see it in real life ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fascinating to see each step of the creative process, the beautiful details and of course, my favourite part is the hare! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful piece of artwork! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your print is beautiful, I look forward to seeing it in real life; I hope the exhibition goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Celia, I was delighted to see that your work is being sold in Smiths Row in BSE.

    Good luck with the Church Street Gallery exhibition too.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://inkpaintpaper.com/2012/10/02/ive-been-awarded-one-lovely-blog/

    awarded you xx Hope all is going well in your two weeks off Twitter - love Gabs

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did I miss this print! It is incredibly beautiful Celia. Quite wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This art is very enchanting. Using Japanese kitakata paper isn't easy but you've manage it. Well done. It looks really good.
    sheds perth

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.