Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Monday 2 July 2007

The stickiness of the ink


I apply the ink to the cut lino block with a roller - the ink is rolled onto a sheet of glass to load the roller and to judge its stickiness. This is so hard to describe in words, but I judge whether the stickiness is just right by the sound that the roller makes as it rolls across the inked glass; and the friction between roller and the glass.

The ink is then rolled evenly on the block. Too dry and it won't cover the surface evenly and will be patchy when transferred to the paper; too wet and it will ooze into the carved lines on the block and squash out when pessed onto the paper making the lines unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.