Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Thursday 4 November 2010

Tarragon's in charge

I thought it was about time I posted about the under-gardeners and their supervisor, Tarragon – who's now a very handsome chap indeed.


He takes his supervisory role very seriously, in fact I feel rather redundant as the girls are his under-gardeners now and not mine any more.


Tarragon has all sorts of moves to attract the attention of the ladies . . .


Nutmeg Spice is having a bad hair day, she's moulting and looks far from her best – I think she'd rather that Tarragon kept out of her way!


The senior under-gardeners, Sylvie (at the back) and Phoebe seem resigned to let him take charge, after all they are now four years old and that's about pension age in hen-years. They're looking in fine feather for elderly hens – and they still lay an egg every other day or so.


Tarragon has been particularly annoyed with me since the clocks went back on Saturday, I keep forgetting to serve the corn for supper (about an hour before bed time). You can tell he's annoyed because he gives me a special 'look' and makes a sound like air escaping from a party balloon. Yesterday evening when I checked that all was well in the hut before I soundly fastened the door, he gave me a sharp peck on the back of my left hand leaving a livid purple and red triangle!!!

This afternoon, I didn't forget . . .


He's certainly got all of us girls well trained!

16 comments:

  1. Well, at least you know who's boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to see Tarragon and the girls again, thank you. He is a lovely creature, well, they all are in fact. Just don't forget their supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a very handsome chap. You won't forget again will you!?

    Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great looking chickens. Tarragon is indeed handsome. What a beautiful shade of gray he is.I love when you post about your hens. Hopefully in the spring I will have some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, we left the corn supper a bit late tonight, too, and one of the girls had gone to bed and wouldn't be tempted out - I couldn't believe it, those ladies will do anything for corn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Tarragon is quite a force to be reckoned with, isn't he?

    Your photos and commentary really do tell me so much about the raising of hens, and the hope for eggs.

    In my city apartment, all this is completely virtual, but totally entertaining and informative.

    Many thanks. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. tarragon and chicken... you're evil.... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tarragon is a very handsome fellow. I love the colouring, what breed would he be?
    I lost one of my girls yesterday, she was 8 so getting on a bit, but such a great little forager, she taught the younger ones a thing or two.
    So nice to watch them in the garden, going about their business and being so industrious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not very good at remembering to reply to your comments... I read every one of them and enjoy your remarks. I'll try harder to keep up to date now that I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (or is it a train!)

    Hi dottycookie - we treat him with a firm respect!

    Hi Toffeeapple and Su - it's tattooed on my hand.

    Hi FBMKW - Spring is the perfect time to get some point of lay girls.

    Hi Chrissie - oh dear... they keep us on our toes, don't they!

    Hi Frances - I can see that he could easily have got out of control - I'm firm with him and makesure I am the boss... but he tests the boundaries all the time! It took months before he pecked corn from my hand. Very different from dealing with the girls!

    Hi Dom - now, would I?!!!!

    Hi Sweet Birdy Love - Tarragon is Lavender Araucana, a breed that lays blue eggs like my Spice Girls do. The plan was to raise chicks, but unlike last year the girls have shown no interest in going broody! What's that all about?!!!!
    I'm thinking of borowing a broody to be a 'surrogate mum' next year.

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My spoilt girls get a few mealworms mixed with the evening corn. Last night I didn't open my hand fast enough and Topaz left me with a red mark! I shall be sure my hand is open tonoght when I put it near her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your girls are so lucky Veg Heaven - watch your fingers - beaks are weapons!

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. tarragon has certainly developed a fine set of feathers! forgetting the corn? *tch* *tch* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea they had such personality.
    They are very satisfying to look at, and I bet they make for a lovely comforting feeling around your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Petoskystone - he's been growing new quills for weeks - so pleased he's looking splendid for the winter.

    Hi Jackie - I would miss them so much if we didn't have them. As well as the hens' eggs and Tarragon looking fabulous, we like the pattern their lives give to our days... very comforting.

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Friday - cripes! FORGOT THE CORN!!!!!

    C :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. He's a beautiful boy Celia, and the girls look gorgeous (despite their bad hair days!).

    Congratulations on the jewellery collaboration too - they are stunning pieces.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.