Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Love in the air

When I was catching up with the galleries that sell my prints and cards I was asked if I had any Valentine's Day cards. It got me thinking and and one evening an image popped into my mind – I quickly scribbled it down in my sketch book.


Yesterday afternoon I quickly scanned and sized the image, made a few tweaks to the composition (I wanted a square design) and transferred it onto a piece of lino. The design was only roughly sketched, so each cut was a step into the unknown; by the end of the day I had a finished carved block ready for printing. I very nearly worked late printing the block right away – I was in the zone! But instead Cliff and I sat down at the studio computer and booked a little holiday, something nice to look forward too :-)


I didn't sleep well, my mind was a bit buzzy from the intensiveness of the carving and excitement about a holiday, so I lay awake thinking about colours.

This morning I got the inks out: Crimson and Yellow Ochre


Made a lovely rich red


Rolled the ink out on the glass


Inked the block


And printed a new design for Valentine's Day


The original limited edition unframed prints can be ordered by emailing studio@celiahart.co.uk
This is a small edition of 20 prints on Japanese Kikuchi Haini Kozo Koban (a beautiful paper made from the fibre of the Paper Mulberry). The image size is 15 x 15cm. Each print is named, signed and numbered in pencil by me. An unframed print costs £48 (including p&p to addresses in the UK mainland).

Cards are now for sale in Magic Cochin's Emporium click here for details



Celia
x

33 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea for a card. I would love one of those for my hubby. We will soon be hare spotting out in the fields near our home. I'll look out for the details.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something seductive about that shiny, wet ink, isn't there?

    Holiday? Will you need a Berlitz course, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fabulous. I've never done lino prints but this is so inspiring, and there's something magical about the flat colour lino prints provide which is so stylish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hares are special aren't they? We see them in the fields around here quite often. Never seen two so 'loved up' before though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super design. I've got a special day at the V & A learning to make a paper cut Valentine this year... can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that very much. I think I must think seriously about having one of your prints, never mind that I don't have a full time job any more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so clever! I'm sure you have made it seem easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great design and I like your choice of colour - on a grey background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh I like these so much! And how I admire being able to translate the idea into the artwork with such accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lovely! a beautiful design. Many thanks oo for the link to the potato site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking forward to seeing the real thing....hope they will be for sale in walden.....ps where's the holiday to?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so lovely. And how lucky you are to have a holiday booked too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Birdy Love26 January 2011 at 03:41

    Oh Celia, what a wonderful design and that luscious red ink,mmmmm
    You make it sound so easy, no doubt it is with years of experience behind you. Must be such a satisfying process.
    Can't, wait to see the printed cards.

    Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your design! I did block printing in college . . . what a lovely card it will make! Have a wonderful day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Celia
    You make something very clever and time consuming seem like a walk in the park. I know it is not as simple as that! Lovely colours and a timeless design. Good luck with the sales for Valentine's Day. Would love to know where your next break is. You always pick such lovely places to visit. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that just the best feeling when your creative juices start to overflow! ..but being me... I was thinking about what two rabbits might be doing on valentines day.. you could start a range of x-rated prints! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so in awe of your patience, your talent and skill. That card is just gorgeous, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Celia, this looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, looks beautiful. I love that step into the unknown when you have only sketched out a rough idea - see where the tools take you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is exquisite. I so enjoyed seeing the gradual process from idea to print, you make it look effortless and I know that it isn't!
    Gillie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its gorgeous, I love it, I have always wanted to have ago at making a block print but not sure I wouls have the patience!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Celia, those prints are sure to be snapped up. I love the way that you describe your evolving process and how you took a break, kept thinking about the design and then got it printed!

    I agree with Printed Material's comment. What you seem to do so smoothly, is really much more complex.

    Best wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh so gorgeous. I would just love one of those prints and were my funds more fluid I would buy one in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many comments! Thank you, thank you... too many to do individual replies but I have enjoyed reading them all.

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I PLAY WITH LINO CUTS BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS.
    THEY ARE LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Celia, your work is amazing ! I will follow your blog with pleasure.
    I am currently shooting for East anglian artists, crafts people. I am a french native and live near Cambridge now since few years. Photography is my passion and I am regularly sharing my work on my blog http://www.lesvignettes.com.
    I really enjoyed your post showing the different process of your print !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Penny - there is so much to explore with linocuts - a deceptively simple technique.

    Hello Catherine - welcome to PPPs, I've popped over to your blog and found some very familiar places.

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your work is always so beautiful! I just love each piece I see. What a sweet Valentine print! Thank you for all the beauty you share with us through your art! I would love to have your prints all over my house!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.