Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Wednesday 23 January 2008

First flowers

Delicate pastel blossoms on bare stems are a special winter treat. In summer there is a multitde of colour and scent, but in January a tiny pastel flower with a delicate perfume will attract attention – look! how beautiful!


Four flowering shrubs in my garden in January . . .

– fragrant cream flowers of the Shrubby Honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima)

– breaking buds on the Cornelian Cherry (Cornus mas)

– clusters of richly scented sugar-almond pink flowers on the Viburnum (Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn')

– exquisitely perfumed spiky flowers of the Christmas Box (Sarcococca humilis)



Bursting up through the soil and leaf litter are perfect freshly unfurled Winter Aconites (Eranthis hyemalis) . The deep burgundy red Hellebore is one of the many I grew from seed from a slate-purple Helleborus Orientalis, this is the second year they have flowered.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your flowers ... I must get that viburnum, a cousin has it by the front door, the perfect spot. I was at the garden centre today, where the primulas were highly scented, not all of them, so you'd have to pick with care ... the orange ones seemed to be the most strongly scented. Lovely

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely sight! I love that helebore, mine is white and seeds itself all over the garden. It's looking good right now with quite a few violets as underplanting. Another trick of nature - since I planted just two tiny violet plants and they have colonised the whole area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Celia. Of course, they are now 'way out of my league, but, since our good rain, I can now breathe deeply of the ylang ylang that I maligned recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna - the Viburnum was already in the garden when we moved here, I'm not big fan of sugar pink flowers, but the scent is gorgeous.

    Glickster - lots of fascintating Hellebores facts - thank you.

    Toffeeapple - White hellebores and How exotic to have ylang ylang in the garden - I put drops of the oil in the bath!

    Dinahmow - Gardening in Queensland must be so different from mild and muddy Suffolk! But ylang ylang in the garden - how exotic! (I put drops of the oil in the bath!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish I had some blooms breaking out - they look beautiful. I would enjoy the scent of the Viburnum nad the Honeysuckle.

    And reading your potato post was fun - I didn't realise there was now an International Year of the Potato. At the garden centres that I've frequented, there might be four or five varieties for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--I had no idea January was so mild.
    Does the ocean moderate your temperatures all year?
    Never snow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your darkish Hellebore - wow :)

    Have a nice spring! :)

    quu

    ReplyDelete
  8. My partner and I stumbled over here by a different website
    and thought I should check things out. I like what
    I see so now i'm foolowing you. Look forward to exploring your web
    page foor a second time.

    My webbpage ... skin care physicians

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.