Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Blooms in the Pigeon Proof Pen

At last! a post about Purple Podded Peas . . .

This morning two of the pea varieties growing flourishing in the Pigeon Proof Pen, have their first flowers . . . and what beauties they are! Proving that growing heritage peas is not just for the shelled peas, it's also about the beauty of the plant, the pods and the flowers.

Let me introduce you to . . .

Curruthers' Purple Podded


Well, just look at the deep colour of the wings! the intricate veining on the standards!
For me, not the most productive of peas (although that may have been down to pigeon attacks in the past) but supposedly one of the best purple-poddeds for flavour. I see Curruthers as a polite, elegantly attired, gentleman gardener. My seeds were originally from a swap with Rebsie, you can read her expert review of Curruthers here.


Robinson


I don't just grow peas with purple pods . . . Robinson is a green podded pea and my selection this year from the Heritage Seed Library. The donor of the seeds had acquired them from a Mr Robinson, who had got them from somewhere in Scotland. The HSL catalogue describes Robinson as being vigorous and a favourite amongst exhibitors for their long, slim, slightly curved pods produced over a long season. The peas are reputed to be "extraordinarily sweet" . . . I'm looking forward to tasting them and if I'm impressed I'll save seed to grow lots next year.

As you can see in the photo, its flowers are white with beautiful green shading and a very attractive shape . . . I think Mr Robinson is a very handsome chap indeed!


More reports for the Pigeon Proof Pen soon,
Celia
xx

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colour! Mine are blooming now too... Well the purple podded ones aren't (yet) but my dwarf 'Meteor' peas should have some pods soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this pea blooming update, Celia. Those flowers are so pretty. Wonderful to realize that you've been able to thwart the pigeons this year!

    I've been buying freshly picked peas from the weekly farmers market, and think of you every time I select my pretty, and delicious little ... green... pods. I've not seen any purples yet.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should grow some peas with purple flowers they really do look lovely. And Mr. Robinson sounds like it will be a real treat when they are ready. Glad the pigeon proofing is working for you - I have never had pigeon trouble, touch wood but the mice proved a problem early on - I had to re-sow several times. Hey ho - there's always something isn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful flowers on your peas Celia. I hope Mr Robinson meets your approval.

    I sowed some peas before I went on holiday and when I came back, there were tiny pods on them - I wanted them for the shoots to go in salads but I haven't the heart to take them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw my first purple-flowered pea plants today. Mine are Blauwschokker and look very similar to Curruthers. Not growing as well are my attempts at unusual beans - one purple podded, one yellow. these are just proving too tempting to slugs and snails :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they smell as lovely as they look?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your peas are miles ahead of our beans! Love the colours and like the sound of the Pigeon Proof Pen. Any recipe for a rabbit proof one? Now that I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've taken me right back to my childhood ... fond memories of helping my grandmother pick peas and shell them into a green enamelled colander ... I can see it now, and taste those peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first started gardening it was an absolute pleasure to discover how beautiful vegetable plants can be. Prior I never considered they would have flowers, let alone colorful ones. This is how out of touch supermarket shopping can make you. I love growing something new for the first time, waiting to see what beauty it brings to my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful flowers. I haven't planted any peas this year but my beans are not doing much yet

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely colour and a great name! I imagine Curruthers as an Edwardian gentlema, very dapper and posh!n

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.