My new linocut, Saxon Labyrinth, is hanging up to dry in my studio, it will soon be framed and ready to deliver to the Church Street Gallery in Saffron Walden to be included in the A-Mazing Art exhibition, which is part of the Saffron Walden Maze Festival, 20th – 27th August 2011.
(click to enlarge image)
This work pulled together lots of themes I've been thinking about as I work:
– the layers of man-made history in the landscape around my studio
– the proximity of wildlife to habitation
– the symbolic woodland in fairy tales and woodland as a place of exile
– the stylised images of animals on Anglo-Saxon coins
– the shared culture of all the people living around the shores of the North Sea
If you live near Saffron Walden, I hope you can join the celebrations of Mazes around the town and pop into the Church Street Gallery to see the A-Mazing Art exhibition.
All the work will be for sale, including Saxon Labyrinth linocuts and cards.