Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Monday 24 August 2015

A bit of a to-do in Suffolk – FolkEast 2015



"A fresh approach to a timeless tradition . . .on the ancient parkland at Glemham Hall, where, for three days of the year, the folk of the East and their families gather for a bit of a to-do" 

Today I'm tired (understatement!) late last night Cliff and I got home after 3 days at FolkEast where I had a stall in the Art Arcade – we were in the long marquee you can see in the background of this photo . . .


As you can see, this year the dance floor for the Morris Dancers is located right in the centre of the Art Arcade, which meant we were almost constantly entertained with very energetic dancing (video by paper cut artist Claire Knight), music, clashing sticks and thudding drums. It made us feel even more part of the festival.


That huge domes tent is the home of The Social Knitworks, oh how I wish I'd had time to spend inside! Early on Saturday before the Art Arcade opened for business, I ran across to take a peep inside . . . LOOK! a beautiful cool shady world - an allotment, guinea pigs in a hutch, a shed! all created in yarn AND they were serving proper pots of tea at lovely little tables.


Most of the time I was demonstrating linocutting and chatting to lots of lovely interested and interesting people – that's what is so fabulous about FolkEast, the people! Musicians, dancers, techies, crew, stallholders and visitors were all such a great bunch.

This was my view for most of the weekend while Cliff restocked the stall with cards and served customers.


If there was a quieter moment one of us looked after my stand while the other dashed round to grab some food and have a quick look around. On one such circuit I met some delightful Suffolk residents . . . 



. . . donkeys revelling in the sunshine, taking time out to snack on the grass



. . . and this gorgeous lady, Olive the Suffolk Punch mare, isn't she so beautiful?! She was wonderfully placid and her air of calm as she muched her hay in the sunshine, seemed to sum up the mood of the weekend.



After closing up our stall at around 6.30pm we were free to wander round and enjoy the music. There were 5 stages this year, above you can see the aptly named Sunset Stage with the Suffolk sky on Friday evening almost upstaging the performances.



For most of the weekend we basked (almost melted) in the hottest temperatures of this summer. But on Sunday afternoon the heavens spectacularly opened with a deluge! The dancers took cover, some in our marquee, but the performances continued in the rain. There were a lot of very soggy costumes!


Over the weekend, inspired by the array of head wear that paraded past my stall, I cut a set of small blocks featuring folk dancers' hats. I think they turned out well, so I'll make some prints and maybe cards from these.


It was difficult to choose what to buy as a souvenir of the weekend, there were beautiful ceramic cups and saucers, baskets, hats, sea-glass jewellery . . . in the end I bought a snowdrop card from my neighbouring stall holder Sue Sullivan; a pen fashioned from a Golden Syrup tin and a Ribboned Ash wood spoon by Ed Mitchell-Finch; and a hand woven purse made from plant-dyed yarns and waste fibres by Zoe Wood.

The rain stopped before the final evening performances so we could sit outside to eat our supper and enjoy the music in the misty darkness. I particularly enjoyed the energetic music of the French-Canadian trio Ten Strings and a Goat Skin - you can find a taster of their music here.


Thank you to Mandy Walden for organising the Art Arcade, to John and Becky for marvellously inventing FolkEast and making it better and better each year and the thousands of folk who gathered together to make it happen.

Celia
xx

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous weekend, I'm not surprised you're tired! I love the video of the dancers, what energy! And the knitting tents, wow! I don't think I'd want to come out of it. So glad it was successful for you all, hope you recover from the tiredness soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun and successful three days Celia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time.I love the music from Ten Strings and a Goat Skin. ( wonderful name!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks terrific, I like the souvenirs you have to remind you of the weekend.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I like your souvenirs too, and the dancing and the music. I sounds like a fun weekend.

    Oh, I like the hat prints too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounded like an awesome festival Celia - I saw Ten Strings when they performed here in Raleigh, North Carolina on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago - thought them fabulous!
    Like your idea for the head wear, will make lovely cards.
    Thanks for sharing the happy, creative feeling of the weekend - know everyone had fun. Your purchases will provide beautiful memories I'm sure.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like so much fun (and a busy time for you too) I would have been tempted to stay in that knitting tent - wool and tea - who could ask for more??
    I love your hat sketches, I think my favourite is the top hat with the feather/flower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.