Celia Hart's blog about what's going on in and around her studio.
Art, printmaking, inspirations, gardening, vegetables, hens, landscapes, wild flowers, East Anglia, adventure, travel.

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

A misty moisty morning

This morning there were tiny crystal beads on the cobwebs in the vegetable garden and I remembered this rhyme . . .

One misty, moisty, morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
There I met an old man
All clothed in leather

All clothed in leather,
With a cap under his chin.
How do you do?
And how do you do?
And how do you do again?

I don't know about an old man clothed in leather – but I did meet three earwigs that dropped out of the bunch of grapes, freshly picked from the garden, into my breakfast cereal – eeek!

Do you remember the oil painting? Well, today it's being sold in an auction and I'm going along to watch – I bet I'll bump into lots of geezers in leather jackets! I'll tell you all about what happened when I get home tonight.


  1. You beat me too it - was going to take pics of all the gorgeous webs today.

    Remember that nursery rhyme too - wonder how many of todays children would know that one?

  2. Oooh, fingers crossed for the painting sale!

    We have a large spider happily siiting in a web right by the front door. He/she has caught a ladybird and seems to be making it last forever - two days so far!

  3. Beautiful photo!

    Loved your post on the Roman Road Celia - I wouldn't mind signing myself up for Cliff's walk.

    Good luck at the Auction!


  4. These early morning spiders are a nuisance, waiting to catch me unawares as I go to the recycling bin, or the shed... doing their high wire act betwixt hanging baskets and summer house, the path right underneath. I hate that feeling of getting spiders webs in your face and hair... Yukky!

  5. What a beautiful web and you won't hear me saying that very often about a spider's web.

  6. Aren't spider's webs just beautiful? I tried to photograph one earlier but didn't ahve much success - I'll just enjoy yours instead. Hope the auction went well.


  7. I didn't know the nursery rhyme, but the phrase, "A misty moisty morning", was in (I think), The Little Broomstick, by Mary Stewart.
    I often think it on misty, moisty mornings. Beautiful picture of the spider's web.

  8. What a lovely photo of the cobweb.

  9. Best wishes for great results at the auction.

    Please do take photos of those bidders in their leather jackets!

    Best wishes.


I love reading all the comments (except for spam and advertising which I will delete) and I'll reply here in the comments under each blog post, it may take a few days if I'm busy.
You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.